SOLLEY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Saturday, March 25, 2017

Our History

Solley United Methodist Church History

Answering the call - For families and their future

The Colonists

1634- The Ark and Dove arrive carrying families from England seeking a better life.

1650- Anne Arundel County Established

June 29, 1663- Paul Kinsey, first Maryland colonist to take title of land in northern Anne Arundel County. This property is what we know as Marley Neck, originally bordered by Marley Creek, Curtis Creek , the Patapsco River, and Stoney Creek.

July 4, 1776- Freeborn Garrettson was sent out to notify the circuit riders of a conference to be held 12/24/1784 at Lovely Lane Church in Baltimore, Maryland. “The Christmas Conference” was the formal beginning of American Methodism. Francis Asbury ordained as our first bishop, the call was made “to bring them in”.


The Settlers

1800- Marley Neck was quickly growing and developing as a community. With the availability of water transit and its close proximity to Baltimore combined with fertile land, Marley Neck became an ideal location for the English settlers to bring and raise a family. As the community grew, the need for a church grew also. If you were unable to travel to Baltimore or Annapolis, most families met in each others homes for worship.

1842- The call to build a Methodist church at Marley Neck was made:

Sponsoring Trustees
Dorsey Jacobs-Jacobsville                     Archibald Hodges-Marley Neck
Henry Joyce-Round Bay                      William Thornton- Marley Neck
Rezin Hammond- Linthicum

The Marley Methodist Protestant Church committee purchased the land on what is now Marley Neck Blvd. (where our cemetery is today).

December 27, 1842- The land was purchased from William and Sarah Pumphrey, in the amount of $5.00.

1846- Sarah Ann Williams Pumphrey (widow of William Pumphrey) marries Thomas Solley, a farmer, and they settle on Marley Neck. The original Solley homestead was located on Marley Neck road on what is now the new Tanyard Springs community. (Only the family cemetery remains).

Together they raised:
Mary W- 1847            James W- 1857             Ella-1863
Thomas W- 1849       Rachel- 1859                 Charles-1866
George M--1850        Minnine-1860

1850-1916- Settlers are again coming. This time from Central Europe (Germany/Austria, Bohemia, Poland and Norway).

During the peak of the exodus from Europe, Baltimore hosted a major immigration center at Wagner’s Point. Families again look at Marley Neck as a place to begin the American Dream.

1870- The Baltimore News American ran an article referring to Marley Neck as “this arm of the Chesapeake” is fertile in both land and sea.

September 30, 1873- The cornerstone is laid for what was then known as the Marley Methodist Protestant Church and is now known as Solley United Methodist Church. (Thirty- one years after the land was purchased).

1880- By this time Marley Neck has a school, a church, and a general store (first Solley store) all located on what is now Marley Blvd. The center of town is the church and families began to come.

June 24, 1898- Solley first recognized as a community. James W. Solley, the middle child of Sarah and Thomas Solley, became post master of Solley Post office that was located in Solley’s General Store on Solley Road.

James Solley married Lillie E. Moreland and they raised:
James Jr- 1884-1946                         Walter-1894
Harry Buren-1886-1939                      Bessie-1896
Will-1887                                          George-1898
Mae-1889                                         Norman-1904 (twins)
Roland-1892                                      Mabel-1904

Industrialization and The War Years

1920’s-30’s- The next two decades brought much change to Marley Neck. Again because of its closeness to Baltimore and the water way, Marley Neck became a prime site not for farms and families, but for future industry. The then B&O railroad came in and bought up many of the family farms, essentially wiping out the Marley Neck community. The community migrated to Solley Road and Fort Smallwood Road. The Solley family had moved the store to Solley Road many years before and in 1938 the new school opened on Solley Road, leaving the little church to struggle through.

1925- Church Trustees
          William Hancock                       Edward Tayman
          Cora Cromwell                          Eugene Ford
          Elisa Stallings                             Sara Chase

1940’s- Baltimore played a major role in the “war time” effort. Once again people flooded the area, this time not from England or Central Europe, but from the south. People came seeking work in one of the various factories or just waiting out the war while a loved one was stationed locally. When the war was over the families stayed.

Church in Transition

January 1945- The Solley Improvement Association presented to the trustees of the Marley Methodist Protestant Church the deed for the land and the basement structure that our church sits on today. The land had been donated by Dietz Hackmann for use in the community.

June 30, 1946- Solley United Methodist Church opens

1954- First Strawberry Festival

1961- Alter Renovation

1963- Education Building Constructed

1970- Merger with Arundel Cove

1973- 100th Anniversary Celebration

1984- First Heritage Sunday
1991- Joint charge with Marley United Methodist

A New Day

January 2006- A new bishop, a new district superintendent, and a new call for accountability within the Methodist Church. We must decide: Do we accept the challenge or do we fold?

April 2006- A meeting is called. Eighteen in attendance:

Ginger Babicky                              Jeff Lurz
Faith Bellinger                               Irma Mason
Marcia Brannock                           John Mason
Wes Brannock                              Rose Mason
David Deel                                    Iris Minarik
Dolores Deel                                 Don Mitchell
Margaret Dunn                              Mary Alice Mitchell
Jay Hackmann                              Stan Phelps
Debbie Lurz                                  Walt Solley

We Decide to Stay

Regardless of history and our presence in the community, it became our prayer that God’s will be done and we stood faithful in that prayer. Overall we were led to continue his work in this community and beyond.

We accepted the challenge of accountability and requested the same accountability in return from the Methodist conference.

1. We petitioned the cabinet to become a single charge
2. We requested a dynamic, spirit filled pastor
3. We started a Sunday school

And the families came.

Their Back!

September 2007- Marley Neck once again a place for families. On what was once the Thomas and Sarah Solley farm directly behind our church, ground was broken for the new Lanar Homes project “Tanyard Springs”, 1200 homes coming soon. God is good all the time, all the time God is good!

Solley Vision Mission:

“God’s Children Actively Nurturing Family, Community and Christian Discipleship”



We, are writing Solley’s new history chapter. Making the way with God’s guidance for our future generations. Won't you join us?